• Question
  • can the land value be used for a reverse mortgage?

    Asked on 1/3/2008

    We live in a manufactured home on 1 acre of ground in a highly developing area. The home was built in 1970 and I am told it does not qualify for a reverse mortgage. My question is would the land value qualify for it as it is appreciating at a rate of about $30.000 per year or are there any other programs that could help us in getting our equity out without refinancing. Thank you very much.

  • Categories: Reverse Mortgages, Manufactured Homes


Toll Free 866-477-0404
  • NewRetirement User

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • My understanding is that a reverse mortgage is based upon the property value of your home. In many areas, those property values are falling.

    My suggestion is that you visit your local savings bank or regular commercial bank and discuss your question with them.

    The issue, of course, is whether you can comfortably repay the loan that you take out. These days, banks are more careful about determining how credit worthy is the applicant. And they adjust the interest rate accordingly.

    In other words, the banks will increase the interest rate as the Credit Score of the applicant goes down.

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 1/4/2008
  • NewRetirement User

    69 year old from Rochester, NY

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • The options that come to mind are:

    1) Can you subdivide the land and sell off part of it?

    2) Could you downsize (sell and relocate)?

    3) There are some Equity Sharing services out there (like the Rex product), but they tend to only be offered in very targeted places.

    You may want to try our Retirement Planning tool for some other idea: https://www.newretirement.com/

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 1/4/2008
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.