• Question
  • Euthanasia

    Asked by a 74 year old man from Port Saint Lucie, FL on 9/5/2012

    I'll be out of money at about age 82. I plan to (have to) work the rest of my life. (Bad accident several years ago without insurance wiped out everything I had) My cremation is already prepaid so I won't be a burdan on my family. Is there a legal way to arrange my death at age 82 so I don't have to live on the street? Right now I'm planning on "cleaning my gun" and having an accidental discharge. Thanks.

  • Categories: Your Life in Retirement, Retirement Planning, Health Care and Health Insurance, Out of Money


  • Steve 


    San Francisco, CA

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • Hi,

    I'm sorry to hear about your accident and hope that your financial situation improves.

    We typically don't get questions like yours and we are in no way experts in dealing with the topic of euthanasia or assisted suicide, but wanted to respond directly with some thoughts:

    1) Please talk with your family, friends and people in your community - I'm sure that they would want to support you financially and encourage you to find other alternatives than what you are researching.

    2) There are a number of programs available to lower income people that can help cover expenses - there's a useful site BenefitsCheckup which has a national database of programs - you can read more here: http://www.newretirement.com/Services/Low_Income_Benefits.aspx

    3) For most people, their expenses decline in retirement, so your money may last longer than you think: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2012/03/12/6-ways-spending-changes-in-retirement

    "according to a recent Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) analysis of Health and Retirement Study data. Annual expenses also decline steadily with age, falling by 19 percent between ages 65 and 75, and plunging 52 percent by age 95."

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 9/10/2012
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.