• Editorial 


    San Francisco, CA

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • Well, this would seemingly be a simple question to answer, but it is not. Supplemental insurance requirements do vary from state to state, but -- more importantly -- actual coverage, the availability of coverage and the quality of coverage can vary from state to state.

    If I were you, I would start by determining state where you would prefer to be covered, then research your options in that state.

    U.S. News and World Report recently reported that, "The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services rates Medicare Advantage plans on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, with 5 being the highest rating. Medicare Advantage plans received an average of 3.32 stars in 2010. The average state-wide quality rating for Medicare Advantage plans ranges from 4 or more stars in Massachusetts and Minnesota to 2.5 stars in Alaska, Delaware, and Vermont, according to a new Kaiser Family Foundation analysis."

    So, the availability of good plans really does vary from state to state. According to this report -- -- 79 percent of Medicare beneficiaries in Ohio have access to a Medicare Supplemental plan with 4 or more stars while only 20 percent of beneficiaries can access plans as highly rated in South Carolina. I highly recommend browsing this report.

    However, you will also want to assess the availability of services and doctors. It has been widely reported that seniors are having increasing amounts of difficulties with finding doctors who will accept new patients with Medicare coverage. It appears that we are having a doctor shortage.

    Once you have decided where to get coverage, this tool will help you find the best Medicare Supplemental Plan for you in the area you choose:

    We wish you the best of luck and thank you for the interesting question!

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 10/3/2012
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.