• Question
  • Return to work

    Asked by someone from Ojai, CA on 1/27/2013

    I am a high energy 65 years old,my body and mind is much younger,I have been working since I was 16 years old and retired much to soon ,I was self employed most,my strongest area was in sales and marketing. Thanks

  • Categories: Work and Retirement, Jobs for Retirees


  • Editorial 


    San Francisco, CA

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • Even your question exudes youth and vigor!

    You might be interested to know that you are not alone in feeling like you have retired too soon! Study after study has shown that many people actually become depressed after retirement. Work is proven to help people maintain their mental and physical well being.

    Some retirees return to work for financial reasons, but more and more older Americans are reinventing themselves with work that really interests them -- and many are finding financial as well as personal fulfillment. You might want a simple job working in a bookstore. Perhaps you would prefer to start a sales and marketing consulting firm. Or, maybe you have a product idea under your hat that you could pursue on your own.

    It probably doesn't matter too much what you do, but it is likely that doing something will actually improve your quality of life.

    Here are a few organizations and articles that I think you will find interesting:
    --> The Benefits of Work: http://www.newretirement.com/Services/Working_In_Retirement_Reasons.aspx

    --> Tips for a Second Career: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2008/08/20/6-tips-on-planning-a-second-career

    --> Second Act Careers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/01/07/5-second-act-careers-to-sail-through-retirement/

    --> Encore Careers: http://www.encore.org/learn/aboutencorecareers

    We wish you all the best!

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 1/29/2013
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.