• Question
  • X husbands ss

    Asked by someone from Brandenburg, KY on 6/16/2019

    I was married 30 yrs, divorced for 16 yrs, is it true I can get some of my x's ss? How dies that work? He is 66 this yr and I will be 64, I am still working, he works part time in another state and has remarried. I have never remarried

  • Categories: Spousal and Ex Spouse Benefits, Social Security


  • Get a FREE 1-on-1 phone
    consultation with this advisor
  • As long as you have been married for 10 years and have not been remarried you are able to collect your husband's full benefit (if you wait until your full retirement age). First, Social Security will pay your benefit and then if your spouses is higher they will pay you the difference. The earnings limit still applies.

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 7/8/2019
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.