Information and Resources for Maximizing Your Social Security Benefits
Experts advise considering the value of Social Security over your entire lifetime. In most cases, delaying Social Security results in a higher lifetime value from
the Social Security administration even though you will be receiving payments for a shorter period of time.
Understanding special cases for spousal benefits is also a way to maximize the money you receive.
Your Social Security Analysis
Factors to Consider for Social Security Start Dates:
- Start Social Security early only if you need the money immediately and do not expect to live very long.
- Should you have reason to believe that you will not live past the age of 80, then you will probably
maximize your benefits if you take them when you reach your Full Retirement Age.
- If you believe that you will live past the age of 80 or 85, then most experts recommend that you defer your
social security for as long as you can (age 70), so as to maximize the benefits you receive from it over your lifetime.
- Spousal benefits and working while receiving benefits can also impact the lifetime value of Social Security.
Resources for Helping You With Social Security
Find a Prescreened Retirement Financial Advisor
The decision of when to start Social Security is probably best considered in terms of your overall retirement plan.
An advisor can be hired for this purpose.
A free service.
Work with a Social Security Consultant -- Social Security Solutions
- $19.95 for a personalized online recommendation
- $124.95 for a personalized recommendation and a 1 on 1 session with an expert.
All questions answered.
Research Your Options on the Social Security Website
The Social Security Administration is available to answer your questions.
They can give you benefit information by:
- Phone -- Find phone services available to you.
- Online -- Online Social Security planner
- In Person -- Find your local Social Security Office
Ask Questions in the NewRetirement Community
Use our free onlne forum.
Ask any retirement related question and your peers and field experts will provide answers.