• Question
  • Spouse Social Security Benefits

    Asked on 3/16/2009

    My wife and I are planning to retire together. We both have enough work quarters to qualify for Soc. Sec. benefits. Our max. retirment age is 66 for full benefit payment.

    Rather than trying to provide a survivorship when choosing the level of my Soc. Sec. check, I'm considering taking the full amount as she would be covered with her own Soc. Sec. if I were to die first.

    Do I have this right?

  • Categories: Retirement Planning, Social Security, Estate Planning


  • NewRetirement User

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • First, congratulations!

    I commend you for carefully considering your options and for creating a sustainable plan for you and your wife. And, congratulations on waiting to collect Social Security until your maximum retirement age!

    You might want to visit your local Social Security office. You can locate it here: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp

    You can also call the toll-free Social Security number 1-800-772-1213

    However, your wife probably has a few options for Social Security if you were to die:

    She can get widow’s benefits if she is age 60 or older. The benefit amount will depend on her age and on the amount you were entitled to when you died.

    If she is also entitled to retirement benefits based on her own work, there are additional options. Ask a Social Security representative to explain the options, so you can decide which would be best for you.

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 3/19/2009
  • NewRetirement User

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • I have already retired and my wife will retire in December. I draw 3 times more then her.Will she be able to draw any of my social security?

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 8/24/2009
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.