• Question
  • lump sum

    Asked by someone from Garden City, ID on 12/29/2013

    I have pension annuity for early disability from usps. Can I request a alternative annuity lump sum? I have been retired since 1997 and I am 53

  • Categories: Retirement Planning, Guaranteeing Income


  • Steve 


    San Francisco, CA

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • Good question - you'll have to ask the pension plan administrator. Since you are fairly young and you have this guaranteed lifetime stream of income it's definitely worth giving some thought to whether you want to give up the stream of income - it could very well be worth more to you in the long run. There's a good discussion of this topic here: http://www.newretirement.com/answers/bud-hebeler/lump-sum-vs-pension.aspx

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 12/30/2013
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.